Production Software Developer
Atla exists to foster the study of theology and religion by enhancing the development of theological and religious studies libraries and librarianship. We want to see librarians and information providers in theology and religion connected in a sustainable and diverse global community. Toward these ends, Atla produces a database search product to help theological and religious studies libraries provide resources and connections to their users.
This position is part of a small team of software engineers responsible for developing the software that powers the creation and distribution of the database search product. Our shared responsibilities include sustaining the existing production and delivery process, troubleshooting current issues, participating in code quality assurance, enhancing internal software with new features, and planning future projects. We work closely with our colleagues who use the software, collaborating with them to identify where enhancements could increase their efficiency and ease their workload.
Atla employs a number of technologies in our software stack including a user interface built in React.js and Redux, a backend REST API driven by Drupal, and an assortment of AWS serverless implementations for automation and data handling. Our team shares responsibilities for all aspects of the development and deployment of our software platform. This position will involve front end, back end, serverless and DevOps responsibilities. This position is also responsible for keeping up-to-date on relevant advances in technology, so ongoing self-education, training, and advocacy of new technologies and alternative solutions are expected.
- Organization, attention to detail and initiative
- Communication and an ability to give and receive feedback
- Ability and eagerness to work together with a team of other developers
- Experience working with both front-end and server-side development
- Experience with a major server-side programming language, PHP a plus
- Experience with relational databases
- Ability to work with version control software such as Git
- Experience working with libraries or other publishers is a plus
- Familiarity with a modern back-end framework (i.e. Drupal, Symfony, Laravel, Rails, Django)
- Knowledge of shell-scripting languages such as Bash, Python, or Ruby
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience with debugging tools
- Knowledge of Linux-based operating systems
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with a major search platform such as Elasticsearch/AWS Opensearch, Solr or Lucene
Less than 1 year to 3 years.
Education and/or experience
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For more information about Atla, please visit our web site at: www.atla.com.
To apply, please e-mail (1) a letter of application specifically addressing qualifications for the position, (2) a current resume, and (3) the names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Software Developer” in the subject line. No phone calls.
- Competitive Pay
- Health, Vision, and Dental Coverage
- Company Paid Long-Term, Short-Term, and Life Insurance
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible schedules
- Generous Vacation Paid Time Off
- Professional Development Paid Time Off
- Personal Paid Time Off
- Sick Paid Time Off
- Volunteer Paid Time Off
- Monthly Stipend for Office Supplies
- Company-provided laptop and other needed office equipment
Atla is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, age, disability, veteran, or military status, pregnancy, order of protection status, genetic information or other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Atla is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact Cember Beeson, HR Generalist, at email@example.com or +1.872.310.4249.