Spotlight On: New Countries and Languages
by Todd Aiello/
May 19, 2023
Atla has made great strides in recent years in expanding the scope and volume of its coverage, in large part by committing to the discovery and access to underrepresented voices and perspectives to fully represent the richness and diversity of research in our discipline. Our approach has included expanding the growth in the geographic coverage of research, expanding the growth in new languages, and expanding the topical coverage with greater attention to religious traditions, perspectives, and interdisciplinary research.
Of the nearly 1,300 titles currently indexed actively in Atla Religion Database® (Atla RDB®), 652 have been added since 2015 alone, representing more than half of the total. Of the seventy-one countries represented in Atla RDB, twenty-four new countries that have been added to the database since 2015, and another twenty are countries in which the majority of the titles indexed have been added since that year. Similarly, of the forty-five languages actively indexed in the database, twenty are languages that have been newly added, and another thirteen have been substantially expanded since 2015. This initiative is also reflected in our full-text offerings. Since 2015 we have expanded our coverage to include an additional 370 full-text titles, including 276 newly available in AtlaSerials PLUS® (Atlas PLUS®). We now offer full-text titles from forty-eight countries, including seventeen available in Atlas PLUS.
Please join us in looking at some titles from some of the most recent countries and languages to be added to our research tools.
New country additions
- Journal of Ethnology and Folkloristics, published by Eesti Rahva Muuseum, is a multidisciplinary forum for scholars. Addressed to an international scholarly audience, JEF is open to contributions from researchers worldwide. JEF publishes articles in the research areas of ethnology, folkloristics, museology, cultural and social anthropology. It includes both studies focused on the empirical analysis of particular cases and those more theoretically oriented. Indexed in Atla Religion Database.®
- Kanien, published by Institut de Théologie de la Compagnie de Jésus, is a biannual journal of research in theology and human sciences. Its authors include journalists, researchers, and African and European religious figures. Its focus is on promoting theological research in Africa, particularly regarding the Church in Africa and African societies. Indexed in Atla Religion Database, full text in Atlas PLUS.®
- Yachay: Revista de Cultura, Filosofía y Teología, published by Facultad de Teología de la Universidad Católica Boliviana “San Pablo” covers culture, philosophy, and theology from the perspective of the faculty of the university’s “San Pablo” theology department. Indexed in Atla Religion Database.
- The Pacific Journal of Theology, published by Lotu Pasifika Productions for South Pacific Association of Theological Schools, focuses mainly on the contextual significance of theological education in the Pacific. Every article is strongly rooted in Pacific epistemology. It is a resourceful contribution for theological students and researchers in and around the Pacific. Indexed in Atla Religion Database, full text in Atlas PLUS.
- Samoa Journal of Theology, published by Malua Theological College, is the first title in Atla’s research tools from Samoa and the first to include content written in the Samoan language, added November 2022. It is a peer-reviewed journal covering all aspects of theology and provides a forum for theologians of Samoa, Oceania, and the World. It also brings the unique contribution of Samoa and Oceania to the international community of scholars. Indexed in Atla Religion Database, full text in Atlas PLUS.
- Studia Theologica Islandica, published by Háskóli Íslands, is a resumed title and our first from Iceland, resumed in July 2021. It is the first publication in our research tools with articles in the Icelandic language. It covers the history of religion in Iceland and the study of theology from an Icelandic perspective, as well as contemporary scholarly topics related to the subject of religion. Indexed in Atla Religion Database.
- Journal of Philosophical Theological Research, published by University of Qom is an open-access, double-blind peer-reviewed academic quarterly journal that publishes original research written with an analytical approach in various philosophical areas such as Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Religion, Epistemology, Philosophy of Action, Ethics, Metaphysics, Philosophy of Language, and Philosophy of Science. Indexed in Atla Religion Database.
- Bulletin of KazNU, Religious Studies Series, published by Al-Farabi Kazakh National University is currently the only scientific journal in Kazakhstan specializing in the history and theories of religion and current topics in religious studies and is the first title in Atla’s tools with articles written in Kazakh. Its editorial board includes Kazakhstan’s prominent scholars in religious studies and scholars from Great Britain, Canada, and Turkey. Indexed in Atla Religion Database.
- Journal of Language, Religion and Culture, published by Mahāwitthayālai Khō̜n Kǣn (Khon Kaen University) is an academic journal in the humanities and social sciences. The objective is to disseminate academic results to researchers, academics, faculty members, and graduate students in Thailand and elsewhere. It includes content related to the humanities and social sciences in linguistics, folklore, literature, philosophy, religion, culture, and other relevant issues in both Thai and English. Indexed in Atla Religion Database.
- Nicholai Studies, published by Christian Cultural Centre “Dr. Radovan Bigović” is an international peer-reviewed academic journal dedicated to the research and theological and ecclesiastical contributions of Nicholai Velimirovich, as well as research of the wider context in which he lived and created. Nicholai Studies primarily publishes original scientific papers dedicated to the study of theology and spirituality. The journal is open for scientific papers and review articles based on research in other areas, like social sciences and humanities, philosophy, sociology, politicology, philology, literature, history, historiography, and archival research, as long as they correspond with the topic of the journal. It publishes content in English and Serbian. Indexed in Atla Religion Database, full text in Atlas PLUS.
Be on the lookout for future announcements of other interdisciplinary titles that cover many exciting topics. We will continue to spotlight these titles and invite you to let us know about subjects you’d like to read about in the future.
Read more information about how to access Atla’s trusted research tools on religion, theology, and how it relates to a diverse variety of subjects can be found here.
View full title lists, updated monthly, for all of our products at the following link.
See more information on how content is evaluated and to learn how to recommend a title for inclusion in Atla’s research tools.
Enjoying the Atla Blog?
Subscribe to receive email alerts of new blog posts of a specific type. Members, subscribers, publishers, or anyone interested in the study of religion & theology are welcome to sign up to one or all alerts to keep up to date with the Atla community. If you or your institution are a member, the Atla Newsletter delivers a monthly curated email of top posts to your email inbox.