Titles on Religion and Law in Atla’s Databases
by Todd Aiello/
October 09, 2023
Throughout history, religion has had a formative relationship with jurisprudence, or the philosophy of law. The concept of a separation between Church and State is relatively new in human history, and even nominally secular systems of government have incorporated language, philosophies, and rules derived from religious texts and practices into their legal systems. Atla’s research tools include numerous publications examining the relationship between religion and law, on topics varying from how faith has historically shaped the law to the delicate balance between religious freedom and human rights in modern society. Below, we have highlighted some journals within our tools that take on the vital subject of religion and law.
- The Catholic Lawyer (Preceding) and Journal of Catholic Legal Studies (succeeding), published by St. Thomas More Institute for Legal Research of St. John’s University School of Law, are scholarly journals devoted to the study of law and religion in general, and law and Catholicism in particular. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database®
- Fides et Libertas: The Journal of the International Religious Liberty Association, published by International Religious Liberty Association, publishes articles by members of its distinguished Board of Experts and other academics and activists in the field of religious freedom and human rights. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Ḥakirah: The Flatbush Journal of Jewish Law and Thought, published by Ḥakirah, Inc, promotes the intellectual and spiritual growth of the Jewish community by publishing articles that provide insights into areas of Jewish law (halakhah) and thought (hashkafah). Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Human Rights Quarterly: A Comparative and International Journal of the Social Sciences, Humanities, and Law, published by Johns Hopkins University Press, provides up-to-date information on important developments within the United Nations and regional human rights organizations, both governmental and non-governmental. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Journal of Law and Religion, published by Cambridge University Press on behalf of the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University, publishes cutting-edge interdisciplinary, interreligious, and international research on critical issues of law and religion. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Juris, published by Institut Agama Islam Negeri (IAIN) Batusangkar, is aimed at spreading the research results conducted by academicians, researchers, and practitioners in the field of Sharia. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- The Jurist, published by Catholic University of America Press, provides a vehicle for the exploration of canon law issues relating to the life of the church today, its historical sources, and various applications in diverse church ministries. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Oxford Journal of Law and Religion, published by Oxford University Press, publishes a range of articles drawn from various sectors of the law and religion field, including: social, legal and political issues involving the relationship between law and religion in society. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Praxis Juridique et Religion: Semi-Annual Review of Law and Religion, published by CERDIC Publications, is a twice-annual publication that promotes research into religious law. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Revue Internationale des Droits de l’Antiquité, published by Office International de Librairie, is one of the most renowned international journals in the field of the history of ancient law. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Studia et Documenta Historiae et Iuris, published by Apollinaris, publishes commentary from eminent scholars regarding laws of antiquity, particularly Ancient Roman law. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Studia Warmińskie, published by Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Warminsko-Mazurskiego, provides texts from scholars and practitioners (in particular from Poland and Ukraine) representing the humanities and social sciences an exchange of experiences, as well as providing essential knowledge in the fields of philosophy, theology, family studies, law, and history. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database
- Ius Ecclesiae, published by Fabrizio Serra Editore, uses doctrinal research, the study of jurisprudential activity and administrative practice, and the presentation and examination of normative data, both of universal law and of particular law to provide knowledge of the ecclesial juridical experience. Learn more about this journal. Indexed in Atla Religion Database, full text in Atlas PLUS®
Be on the lookout for future announcements of other interdisciplinary titles that cover a plethora of interesting topics. We will continue to spotlight these titles and invite you to suggest content for inclusion in our research tools.
Find more information about coverage and how to access Atla’s trusted research tools on religion and theology.
Read more information on how content is evaluated and how to recommend a title for inclusion in Atla’s research tools.
Enjoying the Atla Blog?
Subscribe to receive email alerts of new blog posts of a specific type. Members, subscribers, publishers, or anyone interested in the study of religion & theology are welcome to sign up to one or all alerts to keep up to date with the Atla community. If you or your institution are a member, the Atla Newsletter delivers a monthly curated email of top posts to your email inbox.