Atla Religion Database – Evaluation Process for Inclusion
Journals and essay collections are routinely evaluated for inclusion in Atla Religion Database® (Atla RDB®). Atla’s knowledgeable team of religion and theology scholars conduct content evaluations. Our criteria include:
- Subject matter or language of a given title compared to the current scope of Atla Religion Database. The title should deepen or expand the index’s coverage of current research within the field.
- Intended audience: Preference is given to journals and essays that support individuals engaged in academic scholarship or study. Content for religious leaders and/or laity are not excluded by policy.
- Preference is given to peer-reviewed journals and essay collections.
- Preference is given to publications that primarily consist of research articles, bibliographies, and/or book reviews.
- Preference is given to titles not indexed elsewhere; however, a title that is indexed elsewhere is not excluded by policy.
- Established and consistent publishing record.
- Recommendations by scholars, clergy, librarians, and other audiences.
Journals indexed in Atla Religion Database are also eligible for inclusion in Atla’s full-text collections of journals AtlaSerials® (Atlas®) and AtlaSerials PLUS® (Atlas PLUS®). Essay collections indexed will only be included in Atla Religion Database.
To recommend a journal for evaluation, send title information including ISSN, publisher information, and contact information for the legal owner of the content, if known, to our content development staff.
If you are the publisher, send a copy of at least the two most recent issues (for journals) or the essay collection in its entirety for evaluation
Recommendations for content and content samples themselves may also be sent to:
300 South Wacker Drive, Suite 2100
Chicago, IL, 60606
In 2020, Atla is expanding our indexing of essay collections in the Atla Religion Database® (Atla RDB®). Working with publishers to acquire these essay collections will allow us to feature hard-to-find content for our users while showcasing the indispensable value of your collaboration and support.Learn More