BackDirector of Library Services
Toggle font size
Director of Library Services
February 25, 2019
St. Paul, MN
Hiring Institution:The Director of Library Services provides leadership in bringing library resources and services to support the educational processes and overall strategic plan of Luther Seminary. The Director of Library Services is an administrative position with faculty status and may include teaching or other administrative responsibilities. As Director you will:
- Collaborate with key constituents to articulate and implement a vision of library resources and services that will support the school's educational processes and goals, as outlined in the strategic plan. This involves building on the classic strengths of the library, as well as exploring new ways for the library to support learning and research in a rapidly changing educational environment.
- Develop and manage the library's collections in consultation with faculty and staff. These materials include the seminary’s large traditional collection and resources in newer electronic formats. This work also involves tending the Reformation Research Library and Rare Book Room.
- Provide effective leadership for the library staff. This includes facilitating staff collaboration, providing opportunities for the professional development of staff members, as well as the hiring and training of new staff members. In consultation with the Human Resources department, the Director will engage in regular staff evaluation.
- Provide overall administrative oversight of the library. Among these duties are preparing an annual budget for approval by the Academic Dean, monitoring the library's budget activity, and creating an annual report.
- Gather and utilize qualitative and quantitative assessment data concerning the library's operations and collection management for Luther Seminary's ongoing strategic planning.
- Formulate and implement policies for selecting, integrating, and providing support for emerging technologies within the library. This will be done in consultation with the Associate Director of Online Learning.
- Develop plans for effective use of current library facilities, as well as helping to implement proposals that address the changing needs of the library and the campus renovation project.
- Create learning opportunities that will help members of the seminary community to make full use of the library’s resources for their research and coursework. Other learning opportunities include developing a public presence of the library and its resources for use by a wider and diverse audience in civic discourse. This works also includes sponsoring and supporting current lecture series, participating in Life-Long Learning events, and promoting the artistic legacy of Luther Seminary not only within the Seminary community but in the public arena.
- May teach one or two courses per year in Luther Seminary’s academic programs. Area of teaching (discipline) is open.
- Provide leadership and work collaboratively within the larger circle of librarians in the Twin Cities to ensure that Luther Seminary both contributes to and learns from current developments in library and information services.
A. Commitment to Luther Seminary’s Mission and Vision
B. Required education and experience:
- An M.L.I.S. or M.L.S. from an accredited A.L.A. program.
- Leadership experience (post-M.L.I.S/M.L.S. ) in an academic library.
- Knowledge of information technology and its role in an educational institution.
- Ability to work collegially and communicate effectively with internal and external constituencies.
C. Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A PhD in a theological discipline or ThD;
- Knowledge of ELCA helpful;
- Familiarity with other mainline Christian organizations also helpful.