Director, JKM Library
The Director of JKM Library leads a team that serves the educational needs of two seminaries sharing a common campus, the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC) and McCormick Theological Seminary (MTS). We seek a Director with the creative vision to respond to the complex changes in theological library services. A potential Director will have the capacity to bring services into constructive engagement with the educational mission of the partner seminaries in ways that will augment their instructional and scholarly missions.
Responsibilities of this position include providing leadership in administering the library, supervising staff, managing the library’s budget, developing the library’s collection of theological resources, guiding the library’s transformation in the digital era, attention to the Church’s need for greater information literacy, among other duties. The JKM Library Director reports to the faculties of both LSTC and MTS.
In light of this setting and its distinctive opportunities, candidates should demonstrate the following skills:
- Potential and/or successful experience in leadership in a graduate school library ability to organize and monitor both personnel and financial resources in ways that support the library’s mission
- ability to work collegially and effectively with students, faculty, and staff in a diverse community
- experience and expertise in the integration of emerging electronic resources with traditional library materials – print, analogue, physical, etc.
- cross-cultural engagement and openness to serving and supporting teaching-learning of multicultural, multilingual, and international communities
- ability to work in consortial agreements and arrangements of seminaries.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who are fluent in Spanish. Candidates should send a letter of interest that includes a statement regarding the role of the library in theological education, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references. Applicants should upload material to this link. The JKM Library Director Search Committee will begin review applications on September 15, 2019, and will continue to receive applications until the position is filled.
The Lutheran School of Theology, a seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), is dedicated to bearing witness to the good news of Jesus Christ. LSTC’s innovative curriculum gives students skills for visionary Christian leadership in the public sphere. To learn more visit www.lstc.edu.
Located in Chicago, IL, McCormick Theological Seminary is a seminary of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) with Reformed, ecumenical, cross-cultural, and urban commitments. We are committed to building a culturally diverse faculty. To learn more visit http://www.mccormick.edu.