Scholarly Communications Coordinator
This position is responsible for coordinating, implementing, and supporting a variety of scholarly communication projects involving Association members, peer organizations, and other collaborative partners and that benefit the work of religious and theological libraries and support expanded access to scholarship, collections, and other resources in religion and theology. These projects include the Atla Open Press, LibGuides, and other collaborative projects focused on the access and discovery of collections and resources in religion and theology.
This position will primarily coordinate Atla’s open access publishing program, including managing and supporting the editorial workflows for Atla Open Press’s monograph and journal publishing programs. This position also evaluates, implements and optimizes platform feature sets to ensure consistency, functionality, and usability. The person in this role will develop documentation and training to support editor, author, and copyeditor usage of the publishing platforms as well as coordinate and ensure accurate delivery of publishing program data to third party discovery and access portals such as CrossRef and DOAJ. This position liaises with member editors, authors, copyeditors, and strategic partners to ensure that workflows are followed or are adapted as needed to ensure quality scholarly output and to support member engagement in the scholarly communication process.
Additionally, this position will provide subject matter expertise in the investigation and identification of collections and resources for which discovery and access could be maximized through Atla’s various digital projects. To these ends, this position works closely with Atla staff, Atla members, prospective program participants, collaborative partners, consultants, and vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the publishing program workflow by providing training to editors, authors, copyeditors and others who interact with the publishing program platforms, answering participant questions and managing expectations, monitoring the publication timelines to ensure timely delivery of content to Atla staff and contractors, and ensuring documentation and guidelines are current and accessible.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on feature implementation and utilization on Atla Open Press’s open source publishing platforms and ensure consistency and standardization across all platforms.
- Support the implementation of the publishing program platforms during periods of software upgrades through communication with software developers, Atla IS staff, and users of the publishing program platforms and update workflows and documentation as needed to reflect changes brought about by upgrades.
- Facilitate the identification of member and nonmember collections and resources that would support the work of religious and theological libraries and that would benefit from increased access and discovery through Atla’s scholarly communication initiatives and other digital projects.
- Support marketing and outreach to potential editors, authors, readers, libraries, archives, and other content collectors and creators to create awareness, participation, authorship, citation, and participation in the publishing program and other scholarly communication and digital initiatives.
- Create documentation including guidelines, protocols, and best practices for the open access publishing program and other collaborative scholarly communication initiatives.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of publishing standards and best practices, library-oriented open source platforms, established and emerging technologies, and both national and international projects and programs within the realm of library and open access publishing.
- Maintain knowledge of current fields of scholarship and research in religion and theology. Network, collaborate, and participate in organizations and groups regarding scholarly communication and open access.
- Conduct periodic analyses of usage statistics of publishing program outputs and prepare reports to editorial boards.
- Assist the Scholarly Communication and Digital Projects Manager with investigation of new scholarly communication programs of interest to members and other strategic partners.
- Participate actively in appropriate professional societies and report on outcomes and work processes developed at occasional professional conferences.
- Other duties as assigned as other scholarly communication and collaborative collection resources are identified and implemented.
- MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited graduate school or equivalent degree either completed or four to eight years related experience and/or training.
- Degree in a field of theology or religion or 3-6 years working in a religious or theological higher education environment such as a theological or religious studies library.
- Experience utilizing CSS and HTML.
- Familiarity with trends and best practices in scholarly communication.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills and dedication to collaborative team-building across multiple institutions.
- Skill with using Microsoft Office software suite or equivalent.
- Experience working with the Public Knowledge Projects Open Journal Systems and Open Monograph Publishing platforms.
- Experience working with editorial boards of scholarly publications.
- Experience designing workflows and/or coordinating projects.
- Two years’ experience working in a library, cultural heritage organization, or affiliated educational, nonprofit, or professional organization.
- Evidence of potential to succeed in a rapidly changing environment.
- Reading, writing, or speaking skills in a second language.
Atla is an equal opportunity employer located in downtown Chicago. This position is a full-time exempt position and may work remotely. Some travel will be required.
Review of applications will begin August 12, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. For more information about Atla, please visit our web site at: https://www.atla.com/
To apply please submit a cover letter, including contact information, a current resume or CV, and the names and contact information for three references to email@example.com.