Union Presbyterian Seminary is seeking a full-time Library Director for its Charlotte, NC campus. Please read the attached job description for more information. Letters of application, including a resume/CV and the names and contact information of three references, should be addressed to Tamora Droppa, Administrative Assistant, William Smith Morton Library, Union Presbyterian Seminary, 3401 Brook Road, Richmond, Virginia 23227, or emailed to Tamora.Droppa@upsem.edu. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The Library Director for the Charlotte campus oversees the resources, services, and personnel of the Union Presbyterian Seminary Library on the Charlotte Campus. They report directly to the Vice President for Administration and Dean of Students (Charlotte) for campus administration and to the Seminary Librarian (Richmond) on matters of Library administration.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Participates in the development, planning, implementation, management, and assessment of the following Library services:
- Collection management and access
- Collection development
- Reference and instructional services (incl. related Quality Enhancement Plan support) face-to-face, via email, via phone, and through a variety of online platforms
- Physical library maintenance and safety
- Recommends hires, supervises library staff in Charlotte and plans for their professional development
- Submits annual budget requests for the Charlotte campus library and longer-term projections for budget planning
- Assists the Vice President for Advancement in soliciting financial gifts and grants for the library as needed
- Works with the Seminary Librarian and library staff in Richmond to coordinate library procedures and services
- Contributes to the Annual Report of the Seminary Librarian to the Board of Trustees and President of the Seminary
- Contributes to the Library’s annual outcome plans, assessment materials, statistical reports, and other reports as needed
- Participates in state/regional library consortia and in professional development opportunities on an annual basis
- Assumes other duties as assigned by the Seminary Librarian, the Vice President for Administration and Dean of Students for the Charlotte Campus, or the President of the Seminary
Required Knowledge and Skills
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited program
- Advanced degree in a theological discipline (practical or theoretical doctorate or ABD preferred)
- Three to five years of professional library experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of sources and methods in theological research
- Demonstrated teaching ability, for library-related instruction
- Demonstrated knowledge of instructional technology and library automation systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with the Presbyterian/Reformed tradition
This is a full-time position (with benefits) on the Charlotte campus. Hours are generally 8:30-5:00 Tuesday through Saturday. Status: Exempt (not eligible for overtime) Union Presbyterian Seminary is a graduate educational institution of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and an
EO/AA employer committed to increasing the gender, racial-ethnic, and international and cultural diversity in its faculty and student body. Candidates from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
The desired start date for this position is Saturday, April 15, 2023.