Metadata Specialist (2 part-time positions)
Part-time position includes 15-20 hours per week.
Specifically, the Metadata Specialist is tasked with the accurate and timely creation of original and complex bibliographic records as well as editing third-party-supplied data based on a knowledge and understanding of nationally-recognized metadata standards and in accordance with the department’s established editorial guidelines.
The Metadata Specialist assists with the currency and integrity of the organization’s taxonomies and authority files (e.g., creation of new authority records, editing existing authority records).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for quality and integrity of data, and for its coherence within products.
- Makes decisions about how best to characterize the contents of scholarly research across wide variety of materials (academic journals, general interest periodicals, books, and multimedia resources).
- Based on this analysis and resulting decisions, creates complex bibliographic records and reviews and edits third-party data for distribution in Atla Products ensuring compliance with the department’s editorial standards and indexing conventions.
- Completes the work in a timely manner, meeting the department’s productivity goals.
- Performs bibliographic authority work using authoritative printed and electronic sources adhering to the department’s editorial standards.
- Provides feedback to and liaison with third-party data providers.
- Bachelor’s (BA) or Master's Degree (MA), or equivalent, in a field related to theology, religion or religious studies required.
- Library Science Degree, or equivalent, preferred.
- Two plus years of related professional experience in a library, academia or the publishing industry preferred.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite (required), experience with cataloging or digital collection software (preferred)
- Other skills required: Academic reading knowledge of at least one language other than English is required.
Atla is an equal opportunity employer located in downtown Chicago. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. For more information about Atla, please visit our web site at: www.atla.com.
To apply, please e-mail (1) a letter of application specifically addressing qualifications for the position, (2) a current resume, and (3) the names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Metadata Specialist” in the subject line. No phone calls.