Under the direct supervision of the Dean of the Library, the Systems Librarian is primarily responsible for the administration of all components and delivery of technical support for the library services platform / integrated library system. The successful candidate will collaborate with the Manager of Library Information Technology and will participate in departmental planning and projects, user education, staff training, and liaison programs.
- Hold primary responsibility for the web catalog
- Serve as primary liaison with ILS vendor--currently Sierra from Innovative Interfaces, Inc.
- Work with staff and vendors to monitor and troubleshoot performance issues with library systems
- Engage in professional activities, continuing scholarship, and committee service
- Pursue promotion in librarian rank at appropriate times
- Coordinate with department heads to plan, develop, and implement systems initiatives
- Stay current with new technology trends and best practices
- Administer and configure the library's integrated library system, including security, users, profiles, policies, circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, serials management, and statistical data reporting
- Participate in the Liaison Librarian Program, which includes working with faculty to select and weed library materials in assigned areas
- Maintain collaborative relationships with Biola faculty in assigned academic departments to promote library resources and support faculty research
- Perform other duties as assigned
- ALA-accredited MLS (completed or near completion at the time of application), or equivalent (e.g., Master’s degree in a relevant field and/or relevant experience in lieu of MLS)
- Professional understanding of cataloging procedures and principles, including, but not limited to: AACR2, RDA, LCRI, LCPS, LC classification, LCSH, and MARC bibliographic and authority formats
- Demonstrated awareness of issues and developments related to cataloging and metadata standards, serials, archival and special collections, and working with print, digital, and evolving formats Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and contribute to campus-wide projects, task forces, and committees
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a team setting
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks effectively
- Professional knowledge of and technical experience with Millennium/Sierra, including the ability to generate reports, create scripts, etc.
- Two or more years of relevant experience in an academic or research library
- Understanding of networking, including cloud-based server technology
- Demonstrated ability to visualize, plan, and deliver non-traditional and innovative library services that benefit the needs of the community, both inside and outside of the library
- Proficiency with one or more coding languages such as SQL or HTML/CSS
- Experience in a research environment either with a STEM background or supporting STEM fields Familiar with GIS systems
- Experience in leading a team in the migration from an ILS to a different system or platform
Rank and salary are dependent upon qualifications and experience. Fringe benefits include paid leave, excellent insurance and health care coverage, retirement options, and educational privileges.
Apply online by submitting a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, a one-page testimony of your faith, and contact information for three professional references. After review by a search committee, promising candidates will be contacted. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Questions about this position may be addressed to Dr. Gregg Geary, Dean of the Library, email@example.com.
Hours Per Week: 40
Months Per Year: 12