Continuing Education Programs
As part of continuous efforts to provide valuable professional development opportunities for its members, Atla is pleased to announce the launch of two new educational partnerships:
- Library Juice Academy – Register for any course, and your first course is free! Upon successful completion, Atla will subsidize up to two additional courses per membership year.
- Skilltype – Sign up for centralized access to recorded webinars, articles, and other professional development resources from all over the library field on the Skilltype database platform. Your account is customizable to your interests.
The two programs are being offered free to members for one year. After the first year, these programs will be evaluated and adjusted based on member usage and interest.
Atla & Library Juice Academy
Library Juice Academy offers a range of online professional development workshops for librarians and other library staff, focusing on practical topics to build new skills. The curriculum is designed by librarians with a focus on skills that are in demand in the profession, rather than the academic tradition of library education that tends to address other priorities. Emphasis is on student interaction with instructors and with each other, supported by a variety of class assignments and reading materials. The instructors are librarians and LIS faculty who have developed specialized knowledge in the subjects they teach. Workshops earn Continuing Education Units and are intended as professional development activities.
Library Juice courses are taught asynchronously, meaning that participants do the work when it is convenient. The classes do not meet together at any particular times, although the instructors may set up optional synchronous chat sessions. Instruction includes readings and assignments in one-week segments. Class participation is in an online forum environment.
- All Atla Individual, Student, and Retired Members are eligible to participate.
- The first course taken is free. Upon successful completion of the course, Atla will continue to subsidize 50% of additional courses, up to two subsidized courses per membership year, provided all previous courses have been successfully completed. Failure to successfully complete a course will result in a member being ineligible for free or subsidized courses for the remainder of the membership year. Failure to successfully complete a course in two consecutive membership years will result in ineligibility for this benefit.
- Participants may only register and attend one course at a time. Please complete the appropriate form no later than one week prior to the start of a course to allow Atla staff the time to approve and create the registration with the Library Juice Academy.
- Free and subsidized courses will be offered each year based on budgeted funds. Once funds have been depleted, courses will be deferred to the next membership year.
- Participants will be added to a mailing list specific to the program, contacted at regular intervals, and will be asked to share their experiences through user surveys created by Atla staff.
Instructions for Participation
- Browse the Library Juice Academy catalog. Courses are created 6 months in advance. You may select one course.
- Fill out the Atla & Library Juice Academy Enrollment Form with your name, institution, email address, and the course in which you wish to enroll.
- Atla will process your enrollment and send a confirmation. You will also receive a confirmation from Library Juice Academy with instructions for logging into your account on the Library Juice Academy site.
Atla & Skilltype
Skilltype is a database platform that provides centralized access to a large variety of professional development resources from all over the library field. Users customize their accounts to show topics specific to their interests and goals, and can create a personalized learning plan with access to over 6,000 searchable, indexed items. This service brings targeted, on-demand, customizable professional development to the individual.
- All Atla individual-type (Individual, Student, Retired, Emeritus) and staff at institutional-type (Institutional, Affiliate) members are eligible and encouraged to sign up for an account.
- This program runs for one year, beginning October 1, 2022. Participants will be added to a mailing list specific to the program, contacted at regular intervals, and will be asked to share their experiences through user surveys created by Atla staff.
Instructions for Participation
- Fill out the Atla & Skilltype Enrollment Form with your name, institution, and email address to indicate your interest.
- Watch this Skilltype Introduction video
Be sure to “Accept All” cookies to view the embedded video.
- Visit the site to customize your account, and start creating your To-Watch list.