Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG)
The Technical Services (TSIG) of Atla exists to help theological librarians who specialize in the areas of acquisitions, serials, and cataloging by providing support through education, cooperative projects, professional resources, and networking.
The purpose of this interest group is to help theological librarians in the acquisitions, cataloging, and processing of their materials by:
- Developing continuing education workshops, roundtables, and papers for conferences
- Providing technical services information through the Atla Newsletter, ATLANTIS, etc.
- Providing tools (e.g., Theology Cataloging Bulletin) to assist in the cataloging process
- Monitoring policies and developments in related organizations (e.g., CC:DA) through liaisons
- Supporting cooperative technical services projects
- Welcoming and mentoring new members of Atla who work in technical services
- Providing opportunities for networking between Atla members
Leadership & Governance
- Richard Lammert, Chair (2nd term ends 2022)
- Donna Wells, Vice-Chair (2nd term ends 2022)
- Andrew Kosmowski, Secretary (1st term ends 2023)
- Anna Appleman (1st term ends 2021)
- John Thompson (1st term ends 2021)
- Christa Strickler (1st term ends 2023)
- Anna Appleman, Contributing Editor, TCB
- Michael Bradford, CONSER Funnel Coordinator
- Richard Lammert, Atla PCC Funnels Coordinator
- Paul Osmanski, Atla Serials Exchange Liaison
- Cynthia Snell, Editor in Chief, TCB
- Christa Strickler, Contributing Editor, TCB
- Donna Wells, CC:DA Liaison
TSIG publishes a quarterly journal, Theology Cataloging Bulletin (TCB), through Atla Open Press. Read the latest issue.Read
Plan of Organization
Membership in TSIG is open to any Atla member
- The TSIG will be governed by a Steering Committee. This will be made up of seven elected members; the representative to CC:DA (ex officio); and up to four members appointed to the Steering Committee to serve in an advisory capacity. All steering committee members must be members of Atla.
- The elected members will serve a three-year term of office and may be reelected once. A nominating committee from the Steering Committee will solicit nominees. Terms of service for advisory and ex officio members may be negotiated and renewed. The Steering Committee may appoint members as needed to fill vacancies.
- The Steering Committee will elect three officers from its own members: a chairperson; a vice-chair, and a secretary.
- Steering Committee officers will serve a two-year term of office. If an officer’s term would extend beyond his or her term as a steering committee member, the committee membership will be automatically extended. No individual may serve more than two concurrent terms as an officer.
- The Steering Committee may wish to appoint individuals as liaisons to other Atla committees or interest groups (e.g., TUG, Membership Services Committee, Automation, and Technology Section, Program Committee). These individuals do not have to be on the Steering Committee.
- Chairs meetings of the Steering Committee, usually before and after the annual conference.
- Prepares agenda for the meetings of the TSIG.
- Encourages the activity of the working groups and subcommittees.
- Encourages the development of program ideas for the Atla Annual.
- Appoints a nominating committee for elected steering committee members.
- Submits annual report and budget for the Board of Directors, and approves vouchers for payment.
- Chairs meetings in the absence of the chairperson.
- Obtains information from the Steering Committee-appointed liaisons and reports on their activities at the Steering Committee meetings.
- Reports on TSIG events at annual conference for the Atla Proceedings and the Atla Newsletter.
- Reports on the Steering Committee meetings for publication to TSIG membership.
- Maintains the names of Steering Committee members, their terms of office, and names of other liaisons or Committee appointments.
(Adopted 1992, name updated from TSS to TSIG)
Opportunities for Involvement
You can get involved by:
- Attending the Technical Services meeting at Atla Annual
- Suggesting topics and speakers for educational events
- Subscribing & contributing to TCB
- Subscribing & posting to ATLATech, the TSIG listserv
- Planning a regional Atla-sponsored technical services event (Regional Grants are available for these events)
- Getting acquainted with your colleagues
- Mentoring new technical services members
- Sharing your expertise through friendly conversation or more formal research and publication in technical services-oriented journals
- Being a liaison to other technical services groups
- Participating in various TSIG projects as they arise
Programs and Projects
E-mail questions to the Member Programs Department.
Become a Member of Atla Today!
- Connect with colleagues in your field
- Learn from rich professional development offerings
- Grow through leadership opportunities
- Collaborate with other professionals and libraries