Atla, in its commitment to support professional education opportunities, provides grants for Regional Grants for programs. The Professional Development Committee provides regional grants to support locally developed and hosted continuing education programs.
Two types of groups may apply for a Regional Grants Program:
- Regional Groups associated with Atla
- Institutional Members or Affiliate Candidate Libraries of Atla, whether or not in a Regional Group
Grant funds may be requested for all types of expenses related to speakers. Please note that grants are not available for individuals’ projects. Awarded funds should not be used for attendees’ lunch/break expenses or parking fees.
- Full-day workshop $650
- Half-day workshop $400
- One to two-hour workshop $150-$200
Exceptions should be noted in the application. Atla members who are providing content at events funded by Regional Program Grants are not eligible to receive honoraria; however, funding can be requested for their travel expenses.
Applications can be submitted through the My Atla web portal. You will need to log into My Atla and select the Grants – Institutions and Groups tab. To submit an application, you will first need to have an active affiliation to a regional group. To update your affiliations, log in to My Atla and visit the My Affiliations tab.
Grant applications should be submitted at least two months before the scheduled program. Applications will be reviewed by the committee on a rolling basis. The Professional Development Committee will consult with the applicant as needed and may ask for revisions. A decision about each award will be made within four weeks. The committee’s budget cycle begins in September, so there may be more funds available for applications submitted in fall or winter, and funds may run out, even for excellent proposals.
Funded programs must take place within 12 months of receiving the award.
Applicants will be asked to respond to the following questions:
- Title of Proposed Program
- Program Overview: Include a description of the format, basic context, and location
- Goals and Objectives: What are you trying to improve or enhance? Who is the intended audience?
- Outcomes: What do you hope to achieve with this program? What will be accomplished?
- Measures: What will you track or report to measure success?
- Proposed Date or Timeline
- Amount of Funding Requested: Suggested honoraria are a full day, $650; half-day, $400; one to two-hour workshops, $150-$200. Exceptions should be noted in the application.
- Budget Overview: Provide a detailed list of expenditures, including any grant funds and funds your institution will contribute.
- Speaker or Consultant: If inviting a speaker or consultant, who do you suggest? Please provide their name, contact information, and credentials. You may include links to an online bio as well.
Topics and Content
The members of the Professional Development Committee can be contacted for ideas or suggestions for speakers or programs. The committee welcomes requests that reflect traditional library programs (e.g., lectures, panel discussions, training) as well as other approaches (e.g., hands-on workshops, consultations plus programming).
Report about the Event
Grant award recipients must complete an Atla Regional Grants Program Reporting Form (docx) within one month after the event occurs. The reporting form includes information suitable for publishing in the Atla Newsletter and photographs of the event are also appreciated. We ask you to share this information as successful educational programs may be used elsewhere or even as ideas for future conference programs.
Contact Member Programs for more information.
More Professional Development Offerings for Atla Members through Professional Development Alliance PartnershipAtla partners with other library consortia and organizations to create a Professional Development Alliance (PDA), offering Atla members free webinars. View September's list of eight sessions!
Apply for the Atla Diversity Scholarship 2022-2023Applications for the Atla Diversity Scholarship for the 2022-2023 school year are due on May 31, 2022.
Become a Member of Atla Today!
- Connect with colleagues in your field
- Learn from rich professional development offerings
- Grow through leadership opportunities
- Collaborate with other professionals and libraries