Atla Summary of Proceedings – Editor in Chief
The annual Atla Summary of Proceedings is a historical record of the Atla Annual Conference. The Proceedings includes summaries of the pre-conference professional development workshops; reports of business meetings and conversation groups; texts or programs from worship meetings; as well as the full text or abstracts of plenary sessions, papers, posters, and workshops presented during the conference.
The Editor in Chief (Editor) is responsible for overseeing the submission of individual contributions, review of contributions for accuracy and compliance with submission instructions, and successful publication of the print and open access online version of the annual Summary of Proceedings. The position is appointed by the Executive Director for a three-year term as detailed below, with potential reappointment.
Editorial Term and Responsibilities
- Editorial term will begin immediately upon appointment and will run three years with responsibility for producing and editing the 2023, 2024, and 2025 Proceedings.
- During the third year of the Editorial Term, the Editor will provide cross-training to the incoming Editor for the 2026 Proceedings, provided reappointment has not been sought and/or offered.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Atla staff with coordinating and facilitating submission materials to be included in the Proceedings, including periodic review of the instructions for submissions provided to presenters.
- Verify that submissions comply with the instructions for submissions given to presenters and offer feedback, as needed, to presenters on the form and quality of their submissions.
- Prepare an introduction to the Proceedings that synthesizes and summarizes the Annual Conference as a whole.
- Collaborate with Atla staff to prepare Proceedings for publication by reviewing content for necessary and required components.
- Confer with other Atla Open Press editors for the purpose of recommending submissions to Proceedings for development and publication in another Atla Open Press publications.
- Serve on the Conference Committee as an ex officio member and participate in Conference Committee meetings held in person twice per year and virtually as needed.
- Coordinate with Local Host Committee as needed.
- Participate in the Atla Open Press Advisory Council (periodic virtual meetings and one annual in-person meeting) and assist with the planning of any Advisory Council programming at the Annual Conference.
- Maintain Atla Individual or Retired membership during term(s) of appointment.
- Demonstrated record of editorial experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with persons of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with Atla’s open access publishing efforts and their function within and beyond the Atla community.
- Experience with open access publishing platforms, especially Public Knowledge Project’s Open Journal Systems (OJS) platform.
- Knowledge of scholarly communication issues, particularly in the area of theology and religion.
- Background of involvement with Atla, including its committees, Annual Conferences, programs, or other activities.
Compensation and Travel Expenses
- A modest honorarium will be paid upon publication of each of the three Proceedings volumes for which the Editor is responsible during a three-year term of appointment as detailed under Editorial Term and Responsibilities.
- Atla covers travel expenses for in person meetings. However, for the Conference Committee in person meeting held at the conclusion of the Annual Conference, Atla will only cover the expenses related to the additional day’s lodging and meals. Atla does not otherwise cover costs associated with attendance at the Annual Conference; these costs will be the responsibility of the Editor.
How to Apply
Please send a current CV and a detailed cover letter addressing your interest in the position as well as the required and desired qualifications to email@example.com. Atla Individual or Retired membership is required and will be verified.
Application materials must be received by April 17, 2023. Videoconference interviews will be scheduled in late April 2023. Appointment will be immediately upon selection, with required attendance at the Conference Committee meeting held at the conclusion of the 2023 Atla Annual Conference.