Editor – Theology Cataloging Bulletin
The Theology Cataloging Bulletin (TCB) seeks to fill a vacancy on the editorial board. Soon to be known as TCB: Technical Services in Religion and Theology, TCB is a quarterly publication of Atla Open Press. Currently, TCB contains information about new and changed Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Library of Congress Classification (LCC) numbers compiled from the Library of Congress's monthly lists. It also includes announcements about upcoming training opportunities, a bibliography of recently published articles, as well as other information of interest to religion and theology catalogers. Beginning in January 2022, TCB will expand its coverage to include additional content on acquisitions, collection management, and other areas of technical services. Additionally, a new section will be introduced that offers reviews of open source and proprietary software used by library technical services.
Editors work collaboratively with the Editor in Chief to produce four issues each year, presently January, April, August, and October. The position is appointed by the Atla Executive Director for a three-year term, with reappointment possible.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Compiles and writes content for specific sections of the publication as assigned by the Editor in Chief, including:
- Lists of new and changed Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms (LCGFT)
- Lists of new and changed Library of Congress Classification (LCC) numbers
- Upcoming professional development opportunities
- Bibliographies of recently published articles
- Assists in recruitment of externally authored content for the following sections:
- Perspectives and Practices - first-person narratives of an experience, process, or project related to some aspect of information resource management, whether that be acquisitions, cataloging, electronic resources, or serials management
- Reviews - reviews of open source and proprietary software used by library technical services
- News - news from the technical services field, summaries of professional development events, and trend watches
- Participates in regular online meetings of the Editorial Board
- Maintain Atla Individual or Retired membership during term(s)
- Experience with technical services (e.g., cataloging, acquisitions, licensing) in relation to religious studies and theological materials
- Capacity to work collegially
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Familiarity with Theology Cataloging Bulletin and its function within and beyond the Atla community
- Background of involvement with Atla, including its committees, Annual Conferences, programs, or other activities
- Participation in the Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG)
- A modest honorarium is paid with the publication of each issue.
- Atla covers all expenses for meeting-related costs (travel, phone/online meeting platform, webcams, etc.)
To apply, please send a cover letter of interest and a current CV or resume containing your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “TCB Editor” in the subject line. The review of applications will begin on October 22, 2021.