Editorial Board – Books@Atla Open Press
Books@Atla Open Press is seeking applications for an upcoming editorial board vacancy running July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2025. Books@Atla Open Press publishes open access works on subjects at the intersection of librarianship and religious and theological studies that potentially impact libraries and that guide and support innovative library services and enhance professional development. The Editorial Board oversees the recruitment, selection, editorship, and marketing of Scholarly Editions.
Members of the Editorial Board work collaboratively with the Editor in Chief to review book proposals, assist with author recruitment, liaise with volume authors and editors, and collaborate with Atla staff to ensure timely and quality publication of accepted manuscripts.
Editorial board members are appointed by Atla’s Executive Director for a three-year term, with reappointment possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and provide comments on book proposals submitted by potential authors or identify external reviewers to provide feedback on proposals
- Serve as editorial board liaison to the author or volume editor of accepted books as assigned by the Editor in Chief
- Participate in regular virtual and annual in-person meetings of the Editorial Board
- Promote the output of Books@Atla Open Press to prospective authors and readers
- As coordinated by the Editor in Chief and Atla staff, participate in the review and revision of proposal submission guidelines, house style guidelines, and other workflow documentation
- Contribute to the work of Books@Atla Open Press by participating in relevant activities at the Atla Annual Conference, participating in strategic planning, and other duties as assigned by the Editor in Chief
- Maintain Atla Individual or Retired membership during term of appointment to Editorial Board
- Capacity to work collegially with authors, other editorial board members, and Atla staff
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Scholarly writing and editorial experience (e.g., service on editorial board of a scholarly journal, peer reviewer for a scholarly publication, publication by a scholarly press, professional editorial experience)
- Experience with open access publishing platforms, with preference given to experience with the Public Knowledge Project’s Open Access Monographs (OMP) platform, or willingness to learn to use and complete self-directed training on using OMP
- Knowledge of scholarly communication issues, particularly in the areas of religious studies and theology
- Background of involvement with Atla, including its committees, Annual Conferences, programs, or other activities
- A modest honorarium is paid quarterly
- Atla covers all expenses for meeting-related costs (travel, phone/online meeting platform, webcams, etc.)
To apply, please submit a cover letter and current resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2022.